Monday, October 20, 2014

How Remembrandt Got its Name

I've had several people ask me lately about how I came up with the title for Remembrandt. Did I have the title first and then write the book? What does it have to do with the story or characters?

The title comes from two words:

Remember + Rembrandt = Remembrandt

If you read the summary of the book, you will know that the main character, Alexandra (Alex), has an eidetic memory. Similar to a photographic memory, someone with an eidetic (pronounced eye-de-tik) memory can recall images, sounds, and objects in their mind's eye, almost like they are watching a movie in their head. So the first part of the title of my book is because Alex can "remember" everything. I always knew that my main character would have this quality.

The next part of the title comes, of course, from the Dutch painter, Rembrandt Harmenszoon van Rijn. Specifically, the painting "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee."

painting of 12 fisherman on a ship on the sea, trying to keep it calm

When I first began writing Remembrandt, I hadn't planned on using this painting or artist. I just knew I wanted there to be a famous painting or sculpture. As I searched through artists and found Rembrandt, I knew it just fit.

Here is the description of the painting from my book: 

Description of Rembrandt's painting

Now, originally I was going to title the book, Providence, because that is where the story takes place, but I'm so happy that I happened upon this painter and painting. Though only a small part of the story is influenced by the painting, I feel like it plays a big roll in Alex's story and will influence the rest of the series. I can't really say more without spoiling the ending of the book, but I will plan on doing a post all about the painting and how it influenced the book once Remembrandt has been out a while.

Don't forget to pre-order your book from DeseretBook.com! That's right, my friends, you can pre-order it now. I just happened to be on their website and typed in the title of my book and WHAM, there it was. It will be available in the next month in eBook format too, but if you want to be one of the first to get the print version, order it here :)  

Book cover of remembrandt by robin king with blonde girl on cover with russian cityscape in the background




1 comment: