Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Someday Syndrome


We all have it.  It is a contagious sickness.  It starts off with an idea entering our ear drum or our optic nerves.  Pretty soon that idea attacks our brain.  That is sometimes followed with a feeling of emptiness and aching in our stomachs.  We've got to do something about it!  Then we start spouting things like: 

"I'm going to do that someday!"
"As soon as I'm done with [something], I'll do it."
"Someday, I'll check that off my list."
"I want to do that."
"When I'm [age], I am so going to . . ."

That's right, we've got Someday Syndrome.  We watch "Dancing with the Stars" and suddenly we want to learn to salsa.  We hear about that guy that climbed Mt. Everest and wonder how tough we are.  Our best friend reaches her goal weight and suddenly we want to as well.  Weeks pass by and a few of the things slip from our brain, but some of them remain.  These items are often moved onto the famed "Bucket List".

I searched and searched for the bucket list I made when I was 14.  I'm not sure where it went, but I'm guessing it has joined ranks with my Honda's missing remote and that black tie sweater that made me look skinny.  I do remember a few items on the list: get married in the temple (check), run a marathon (check), and become a pediatrician (still working on that one . . . does being a mom count?).   I know there were some other items that seemed super important at the time.  In honor of those forgotten goals and the disease associated with it, I have created a new list that will forever be etched in internet history.  Now this list below contains items that I not only want to do, but I believe could really happen.  So I guess it isn't just a bucket list - it's a inventory of my goals in no particular order. 

  1. Publish a book
  2. Go to Law School
  3. Perform a solo in a Broadway musical
  4. Speak at General Conference
  5. Be in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  6. Go sailing
  7. Hang glide off the Point of the Mountain
  8. Climb Mt. Everest 
  9. Go on a week long backpacking trip
  10. Write a top 100 song
  11. Read the Book of Mormon in one sitting
  12. Visit Europe
  13. Run a half marathon with my husband
  14. Learn to surf
  15. Take a spontaneous trip (no packing, just leave)
  16. Make a dress patterned after a designer one
  17. Meet my husband at a new restaurant and pretend we've just met
  18. Go to a Broadway Musical in New York
  19. Visit each of the 50 states (only been to 14/50 - AZ, CA, CO, FL, HI, ID, MO, NV, NM, OR, TX, UT, WA, WY)
  20. Run a marathon outside of UT
  21. Take a kayaking trip
  22. Go to New Zealand
  23. Move from Utah and live in the Northwest
  24. Live within half hour to the beach
  25. Do a half ironman
  26. Win an award for something I write
  27. Get a framable family portrait on the beach
  28. Live in a beach house
  29. Design and make my own piece of jewelry
  30. Record a CD of songs I perform/write
  31. Teach voice lessons
  32. Learn to play a hymn on the piano
  33. Be debt-free
  34. Have Dad teach me to play the guitar
  35. Sing a duet with someone famous
  36. Write a non-fiction book
  37. Have 6 kids
  38. Reach my goal weight and stay there
  39. Live near my parents
  40. Run a 5k in under 22 minutes
  41. Be one of the top 3 women in the Apple Blossom 10k
  42. Host a fundraiser that earns $10K or more towards a good cause
  43. Be the mayor of a city
  44. Write a series of novels for teenage boys
  45. Make my own cheese
  46. Read 50 books in 1 year
  47. Design and sew a wedding dress
  48. Swing on a rope swing into a lake
  49. Go fishing
  50. Get a nice telescope and learn the main constellations
  51. Be secret best friends with someone super famous
  52. Have a bikini beach body and still wear a fabulous modest one piece
  53. Buy three new oufits and never look at the pricetags
  54. Own a swimming pool
  55. Be on a tv show/movie (I'd be content with being an extra)
  56. Teach a class at a university
  57. Ride a motorcycle (by myself)
  58. Go on a 100 mile bike ride
  59. Create a photobook for each year for my family
  60. Build a treehouse
  61. Go on a cruise
  62. Paint a picture (that I can hang in my home)
  63. Own a bonzai tree
  64. Learn the basics of ballet
Thanks to a friend (fellow writer and blogger), I decided to put together a "Before Bucket List" as well (things that were on my bucket list, but I have already checked off).

  1. Run a marathon (9 times)
  2. Get married in the temple
  3. Live in another country (2 months in Mexico)
  4. Learn another language (Spanish)
  5. Be a teacher (one year of 3rd grade, still tutor)
  6. Get my Bachelor's degree from BYU
  7. Do a triathlon (2 done)
  8. Write a book
  9. Plant my own apple tree
  10. Never swear
  11. Learn to sew
  12. Perform a solo in front of 1,000 people
  13. Have a baby (4 so far)
  14. Have a photography business
  15. Go sky diving
  16. Qualify for the Boston Marathon
  17. Learn household repair (fixed dryer, washer, disposal, fridge, toilet)
  18. Sing the National Anthem at a football game
  19. Read all the Standard Works (Bible, BOM, D&C, NT, OT)
  20. Memorize all the Articles of Faith
  21. Build my own garden boxes
  22. Grow a vegetable garden (and strawberries & raspberries)
  23. Refinish my own furniture (piano, dresser, chair, bookcase)
  24. Tile my kitchen backsplash
  25. Go skinny dipping (not giving the details)
  26. Lay my own wood floor
  27. Scrapbook my photos (still working on this)
  28. Sew a blessing gown and tuxedo (I still love these!)
  29. Be in a musical (8)
  30. Design and sew costumes for a musical
  31. Become a couponer
  32. Learn Photoshop
  33. Create my own website
  34. Have a blog
Come on, get a little closer to the screen.  Have you caught it yet?  You starting to feel the itching to do something? It's time now to make your list.  If you write it down, it's more likely to happen.

**I give myself the right to add to my bucket list each time a new symptom presents itself**


5 comments:

  1. That's an amazing Before Bucket List! You are an inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Robin! That is an amazing list! I loved learning more about you and was surprised to find out we have quite a lot in common! I'll have to talk to you about some of these... I'm very impressed with all you've done too. Feeling pretty lucky to know you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done. I love the bonzai plant. I've got a bamboo plant. It's cool. Oh la la...skinny dipping. You rebel. haha

    ReplyDelete